The Metrolink is a tram network servicing the Greater Manchester area, specifically the cities of Manchester and Salford and the metropolitan boroughs of Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, and Tameside.
There are no Metrolink stations in Bolton, Stockport, or Wigan.
It is owned by Transport for Greater Manchester and operated by RATP.
There are currently 10 Metrolink services:
- Altrincham to Etihad Campus Service
- Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield Service (Monday to Saturday)
- Bury to East Didsbury Service
- Bury to Piccadilly Service (Monday to Saturday)
- Eccles to Piccadilly Service
- Manchester Airport to Cornbrook Service
- Rochdale Town Centre to Ashton-under-Lyne Service
- Shaw and Crompton to Exchange Square Service (Monday to Saturday)
- Rochdale Town Centre to Exchange Square Service (Sundays only)
- Ashton-under-Lyne to Victoria Service (Sundays only)
Passengers that have purchased a train ticket to Manchester city centre from any train station in Greater Manchester can travel on the trams for free within the City Zone. The City Zone includes the following stations: Deansgate-Castlefield, Exchange Square, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, New Islington, Market Street, Shudehill, and Victoria.
Tickets can be purchased from machines located at each station. Machines accept coins (though not 1p or 2p coins), notes (£5, £10, £20), plus debit and credit cards. Change is given.
Cheaper off-peak fares apply after 9.30 am on weekdays, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. Accompanied children under 5 enjoy free travel while children aged 5 – 16 pay reduced price child fares (proof of age required for children over 11).
Weekend Travelcards are great value and allow travel anywhere on the network from early Friday evening to Sunday night. Family Day Travelcards and Family Weekend Travelcards are even better value.
Passengers must have purchased a ticket or pass before boarding a tram.
Free car parking is available at many Metrolink stations. The money saved by not having to park in expensive city centre car parks is typically more than the cost of a Metrolink ticket.
The following stations have large park-and-ride car parks:
- Altrincham Line – Navigation Road, Brooklands
- Ashton Line – Ashton Moss, Ashton West
- Manchester Airport Line – Sale Water Park
- Bury Line – Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield
- East Didsbury Line – East Didsbury
- Eccles Line – Ladywell
The map below shows all Metrolink lines and stations, major attractions, train stations, and more. Click on any symbol for further information.-