The Metrolink is a tram network servicing the Greater Manchester area, specifically the cities of Manchester and Salford and the metropolitan boroughs of Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, and Tameside.
There are currently no Metrolink stations in Bolton, Stockport, or Wigan.
It is owned by Transport for Greater Manchester and operated by RATP.
Metrolink trams currently run along 7 routes.
- Altrincham – Bury Line
- Altrincham – Piccadilly Line
- Bury – Abraham Moss Line
- Cornbrook – MediaCityUK Line
- East Didsbury – Rochdale Town Centre Line
- Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line
- Manchester Airport – Cornbrook Line
Passengers that have purchased a train ticket to Manchester city centre from any train station in Greater Manchester can travel on the trams for free within the City Zone. The City Zone includes the following stations: Deansgate-Castlefield, St Peter’s Square, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, New Islington, Market Street, Shudehill, and Victoria.
Tickets are purchased from machines located at each station. Machines accept coins (though not 1p or 2p coins), notes (£5, £10, £20), plus debit and credit cards. Change is given.
Cheaper off-peak fares apply after 9.30 am on weekdays, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. Accompanied children under 5 enjoy free travel while children aged 5 – 16 pay reduced price child fares (proof of age required for children over 11).
Weekend Travelcards are great value and allow travel anywhere on the network from early Friday evening to Sunday night. Family Day Travelcards and Family Weekend Travelcards are even better value.
Passengers must have purchased a ticket or pass before boarding a tram.
Park and Ride
Free parking is available at many Metrolink stations. The money saved by not having to park in expensive city centre car parks is typically more than the cost of a Metrolink ticket.
The following stations have large park and ride car parks:
- Altrincham – Bury Line – Navigation Road, Brooklands, Whitefield, Radcliffe, and Bury
- Altrincham – Piccadilly Line – Navigation Road and Brooklands
- Bury – Abraham Moss Line – Bury, Radcliffe, and Whitefield
- East Didsbury – Rochdale Town Centre Line – East Didsbury, Hollinwood, Oldham Mumps, Derker, and Rochdale Railway Station
- Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line – Ladywell, Ashton Moss, and Ashton West
- Manchester Airport – Cornbrook Line – Sale Water Park
There are no park and ride facilities on the Cornbrook – MediaCityUK Line.
The map below shows all Metrolink lines and stations, major attractions, train stations, and more. Click on any symbol for further information.
Maps of individual lines can be found by following these links: Altrincham – Bury Line, Altrincham – Piccadilly Line, Bury – Abraham Moss Line, Cornbrook – MediaCityUK Line, East Didsbury – Rochdale Town Centre Line, Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line, and Manchester Airport – Cornbrook Line.