The Metrolink is a tram network servicing the Greater Manchester area, specifically the cities of Manchester and Salford and the metropolitan boroughs of Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, and Tameside.
There are no Metrolink stations in Bolton, Stockport, or Wigan.
It is owned by Transport for Greater Manchester and operated by RATP.
Metrolink trams currently run along 7 routes.
- Altrincham to Etihad Campus Line
- Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield Line
- Bury to East Didsbury Line
- Bury to Piccadilly Line
- Eccles to Piccadilly Line
- Manchester Airport to Cornbrook Line
- Rochdale Town Centre to Ashton-under-Lyne Line
Passengers that have purchased a train ticket to Manchester city centre from any train station in Greater Manchester can travel on the trams for free within the City Zone. The City Zone includes the following stations: Deansgate-Castlefield, St Peter’s Square, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, New Islington, Market Street, Shudehill, and Victoria.
Tickets can be purchased from machines located at each station. Machines accept coins (though not 1p or 2p coins), notes (£5, £10, £20), plus debit and credit cards. Change is given.
Cheaper off-peak fares apply after 9.30 am on weekdays, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. Accompanied children under 5 enjoy free travel while children aged 5 – 16 pay reduced price child fares (proof of age required for children over 11).
Weekend Travelcards are great value and allow travel anywhere on the network from early Friday evening to Sunday night. Family Day Travelcards and Family Weekend Travelcards are even better value.
Passengers must have purchased a ticket or pass before boarding a tram.
Park and Ride
Free parking is available at many Metrolink stations. The money saved by not having to park in expensive city centre car parks is typically more than the cost of a Metrolink ticket.
The following stations have large park and ride car parks:
- Altrincham to Etihad Campus Line – Navigation Road, Brooklands
- Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield Line – Navigation Road, Brooklands
- Bury to East Didsbury Line – Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield, East Didsbury
- Bury to Piccadilly Line – Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield
- Eccles to Piccadilly Line – Ladywell
- Manchester Airport to Cornbrook Line – Sale Water Park
- Rochdale Town Centre to Ashton-under-Lyne Line – Rochdale Railway Station, Shaw and Crompton, Derker, Hollinwood, Ashton Moss, Ashton West
The map below shows all Metrolink lines and stations, major attractions, train stations, and more. Click on any symbol for further information.
Maps of individual lines can be found by following these links: Altrincham to Etihad Campus Line, Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield Line, Bury to East Didsbury Line, Bury to Piccadilly Line, Eccles to Piccadilly Line, Manchester Airport to Cornbrook Line, and Rochdale Town Centre to Ashton-under-Lyne Line.