Until the 18th century Barley was a purely agricultural community. In the 18th century two cotton mills were established here.
Barley Green Mill was destroyed by flooding in 1880. A water treatment plant built on its site was subsequently converted into luxury apartments.
Narrowgates Mill was built in 1799 and closed in 1967. The mill building and workers’ cottages are now private residences.
Attractions and Things To Do
The village also lies on the Pendle Way. The 45-mile circular walk around the borough of Pendle includes Barley and places such as Barrowford, Barnoldswick, Earby, Wycoller, Reedley, Hingham, Newchurch, Pendle Hill, and Roughlee.
The Pendle Sculpture Trail lies within Aitken Wood, just outside the village and close to the Black Moss Reservoirs. Artists have created a collection of sculptures inspired by the Pendle witches and local heritage.
Barley Picnic Site is located in the heart of the village. It offers a pleasant picnic area, playground, a cafe/tourist information centre, and toilets. The adjacent car park is used by walkers and visitors to Pendle Sculpture Trail.
Barley Village Hall is the main community centre. It was built in 1884 as a Methodist chapel but was purchased by Barley with Wheatley Booth Parish Council in the 1940s.
Another church, Barley Methodist Church, was completed in 1910.
There is no train station in Barley. The closest stations are Colne, Nelson, and Brierfield.
The bus service between Clitheroe and Nelson calls at Barley.
Barley is just over 3 miles drive from Junction 13 of the M65, the motorway linking Preston to Colne.