98 is the country calling code for Iran.
Iran is a country on the continent of Asia. The capital city of Iran is Tehran.
How to Call Iran from the UK
To call a telephone number in Iran from the UK:
- Dial the international call prefix. For calls from the UK this is 00 (or '+' from mobile phones).
- Dial the country code for Iran - 98.
- Dial the number of the person/business, omitting the first zero if there is one.
Area Codes and Landlines
The following are the area codes for some of Iran’s most populous cities:
- Isfahan – 031
- Karaj – 026
- Mashhad – 051
- Shiraz – 071
- Tehran – 021
Phone numbers in Iran are 11 digits long (0 plus ten numbers).
When contacting a landline number from another part of Iran or from a mobile phone in Iran, the area code is preceded by a 0 prefix.
When calling from a landline in the same area, do not use the 0 prefix or area code.
When phoning from abroad, do not use the 0 prefix with the area code.
For example, to call a number in Tehran XXXX XXXX from the UK or overseas:
- Dial the international call prefix (00/+), the Iranian country code (98), the area code (without the 0), and finally the subscriber number. e.g., 00-98-21-XXXX XXXX or +98-21-XXXX XXXX.
When making a telephone call to Iran from the UK, please note there is a time difference between Iran and the UK.
The time now in Iran is . The date is .
The time now in the UK is . The date is .
The time difference between Iran and UK (United Kingdom) is 3.5 hours.
The Iranian rial (IRR) is the currency used in Iran.
The current exchange rates between the Iranian rial and the British pound (IRR to GBP, GBP to IRR) are:
- 1 Iranian rial (IRR) = 1.89362E-5 GBP
- 1 British pound (GBP) = 52808.98 IRR
Exchange rates on this page were last updated on .
Iran – Facts and Figures
According to data from the World Bank, the population of Iran in recent years is:
- 2018 - 81,800,269
- 2017 - 80,673,951
- 2016 - 79,564,016
- 2015 - 78,492,215
- 2014 - 77,465,753
- 2013 - 76,481,943
Map of Iran
The map below shows the location of Iran.