Nestled in the heart of Wigan town centre, the Grand Arcade shopping centre is a retail haven that has been a prominent feature of the town’s landscape since its opening in March 2007.
With its modern architecture, comprehensive amenities, central location, and many shops and stores, the Grand Arcade has firmly established itself as the go-to retail destination in Wigan.
Shops and Stores
The Grand Arcade houses shops and stores that cater to a wide variety of tastes and preferences. Here, shoppers can find everything from the latest fashion trends to health and beauty essentials, home goods, and much more. From high-street fashion retailers to speciality shops, the centre offers an extensive selection of brands and products that appeal to all ages and interests.
At the time of writing (May 2023), the centre boasts a diverse range of shops that include:
- Boots: A health and beauty retailer and pharmacy chain, Boots offers a range of products from cosmetics to healthcare essentials.
- Caffe Nero: Enjoy a taste of Italy with Caffè Nero’s range of high-quality coffees and delicious pastries.
- Case & Case: Independent jewellers.
- Claire’s: Accessories.
- Clarks: Clarks offers high-quality, stylish shoes for the whole family.
- Clintons: Find the perfect card for any occasion, along with a wide selection of gifts and party essentials at Clintons.
- Costa: Enjoy a comforting cup of coffee and a tasty snack at Costa, one of the UK’s favourite coffee shops.
- Deichmann: Shop the latest footwear trends for all ages at Deichmann, Europe’s largest shoe retailer.
- EE: Get connected with EE, the UK’s largest mobile network operator offering phones, broadband and more.
- Eurochange: Eurochange is your one-stop shop for all your currency exchange and money transfer needs.
- Game: At Game, you’ll find everything you need for your gaming needs, from the latest console releases to a wide range of video games.
- Games N More: Discover a treasure trove of new and retro video games, CDs, and vinyl records at Games N More.
- Glamour Point: Unleash your inner beauty with Glamour Point’s wide range of beauty products and cosmetics.
- HMV: Music lovers rejoice – HMV offers CDs, DVDs, and vinyl records.
- Holland & Barrett: Holland & Barrett is your go-to store for health foods, supplements, and natural beauty products.
- HSBC: Access a wide range of banking services at HSBC, one of the world’s largest banking and financial services organizations.
- Hurley: Hurley offers fashionable, high-quality clothing for men, women, and children.
- JD: JD Sports offers the latest sportswear, trainers, and fashion for those with an active lifestyle.
- Le Petit Four: Enjoy a sweet treat or a hearty meal at Le Petit Four, a restaurant on the upper floor.
- Leading Labels: Discover a variety of fashion brands under one roof at Leading Labels.
- Muffin Break: Take a break and indulge in a delicious muffin or a cup of coffee at Muffin Break.
- New Look: Clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- O2: From the latest smartphones to flexible data plans, O2 covers all your mobile and broadband needs.
- Pandora: Pandora is the destination for beautifully designed, hand-finished jewellery.
- Pop Patrol: Find all your favourite pop culture merchandise and collectables at Pop Patrol.
- Poundland: At Poundland, you’ll find a variety of household goods, beauty products, and more, all at great prices.
- River Island: River Island offers trendy, affordable fashion for men, women, and kids.
- Savers: Get your essential health, home, and beauty products at Savers, known for their competitive prices.
- Schuh: Schuh is a leading retailer of branded footwear and accessories with styles for all ages.
- Sky: Visit the Sky store to explore television and broadband packages or get support for your current services.
- Sports Direct: Your one-stop shop for athletic clothing, footwear, and sporting goods, Sports Direct has everything you need for an active lifestyle.
- Superdrug: Superdrug is a beauty and health store offering a range of skincare, cosmetics, and health products, along with pharmacy services.
- The Body Shop: Renowned for its ethically-produced, cruelty-free beauty and skincare products.
- The Little Kitchen: A charming eatery, The Little Kitchen is the perfect spot for a quick bite or a hearty meal.
- The Perfume Shop: Find your signature scent among a wide range of designer and luxury fragrances at The Perfume Shop.
- The Works: Discover a wide range of books, toys, gifts, stationery, and arts and crafts at The Works – perfect for inspiring creativity.
- Three: From mobile phones to broadband, Three offers various services to keep you connected.
- Time-Piece Watch Repairs: Keep time on your side with Time-Piece Watch Repairs’ expert watch repair and servicing.
- TSB: Access a range of banking services, from current and savings accounts to mortgages, at TSB.
- Vodafone: Discover the latest mobile phones, SIM, and mobile broadband deals from one of the UK’s leading telecommunications providers.
- Waterstones: A haven for book lovers, Waterstones offers a wide range of books across various genres and knowledgeable staff ready to give recommendations.
- Wilko: Find everything you need for your home and garden at Wilko, along with a wide range of health, beauty, and household goods.
However, the Grand Arcade has also experienced its share of challenges. Anchor store Debenhams entered into administration in 2020 and closed the following year. Other notable closures in recent years include WHSmith and Marks and Spencer. Yet, the resilience and adaptability of the Grand Arcade have ensured its continued relevance and appeal amidst the ever-changing retail landscape.
The Grand Arcade is open seven days a week, providing ample opportunity for visitors to enjoy all it offers. The centre operates from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays, opening times are 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.
For opening hours at Christmas and other public holidays, visit the official Grand Arcade website.
Location, Car Parks, and Accessibility
The shopping centre is in Wigan town centre, on the site once occupied by the famous Wigan Casino. Standishgate, Crompton Street, Riverway, and Millgate bound it.
The Grand Arcade is readily accessible by both public and private transport. Two multi-storey car parks are available: Millgate Car Park (600 spaces – postcode WN1 1BH) and Crompton Street Car Park (260 spaces – postcode WN1 1BN). Parking charges apply at both car parks.
Wigan Bus Station, situated on Market Street, is nearby for those travelling by public transport. The centre is conveniently located near two train stations; Wigan Wallgate Station for local train services and Wigan North Western for mainline services.
Regarding accessibility, the Grand Arcade is committed to providing all its customers with an effortless and enjoyable shopping experience. The centre is fully equipped to accommodate the needs of disabled customers, with accessible facilities available in the customer toilets located in the upper mall. The centre also provides lifts and an escalator for easy access to the upper mall, and staff are readily available to offer assistance if needed.
Facilities and Features
Facilities include toilets, baby changing areas, and cash machines.
The Casino Café, the eating area on the Upper Mall (first floor), takes its name from the legendary Wigan Casino nightclub that used to stand on the mall’s site. Restaurants here are Coffee Delight and Le Petit Four. There’s a small exhibition documenting the Wigan Casino and Northern Soul music.
There’s a bronze statue of George Formby on the ground floor. The statue pays tribute to a famous local figure and adds a unique charm and character to the shopping centre. The Wigan-born entertainer was known for his music, comedy, and Lancashire accent. Manx artist Amanda Barton designed the statue.
Other Shopping Centres in the Wigan Area
The Grand Arcade’s main advantage is its range of shops and location in Wigan’s town centre. However, the cost of parking may be a deterrent for some.
Robin Retail Park, also in Wigan, offers a different mix of stores and free parking. However, the retail offerings at Robin Park may be less diverse overall.
Parsonage Retail Park, located in Leigh about 5 miles from Wigan, offers around 30 stores, including a Sainsbury’s supermarket, M&S, and TK Maxx. However, its location may only be convenient for Wigan residents with a car.
Middlebrook Retail and Leisure Park is situated in Horwich, about 8 miles from Wigan. It boasts high street names like Asda, Boots, and M&S. It also offers a cinema, tenpin bowling, and a great selection of places to eat and drink.
The Galleries, a former shopping complex in Wigan, was once a significant retail centre. It closed in 2022.