Market Walk is the main shopping centre in Chorley. The uncovered mall boasts around 30 shops, both high street names and local businesses. The mall also offers a multiplex cinema and an entertainment centre.
Parking facilities are excellent. With parking charges amongst the cheapest in North West England, a visit to Market Walk ensures an easy, affordable, and enjoyable experience for its visitors.
Shops, Businesses and Places to Eat
Market Walk offers a great selection of stores and businesses. Combining national brands and independent stores ensures a diverse shopping experience, satisfying shoppers of all tastes and budgets.
Shops and businesses here at the time of writing (July 2023) are listed below:
- B&M: Discount store offering a wide selection of everyday essentials.
- Bodycare: Health and beauty retailer known for its comprehensive selection of personal care products
- Boots: Pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer with an extensive range of pharmaceutical services, beauty products, and healthcare items.
- British Heart Foundation: Charity shop.
- Calico Lounge: Cozy dining and socialising spot.
- Card Factory: Offers greeting cards, gifts, and party supplies.
- Degrif Outlet: Designer brands and fashion wear at bargain prices.
- Designer Clearance: Outlet specialising in off-season and clearance items from designer brands at discounted prices.
- Discount Cards: Greeting cards and gifts.
- EE: Telecommunications company.
- Greggs: Nationwide bakery chain known for its fresh pastries, sandwiches, and hot drinks.
- H Samuel: Watches and jewellery.
- Holland & Barrett: Health foods, vitamins, and dietary supplements.
- Iceland: Frozen food, groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables.
- JD: Branded sportswear, footwear, and accessories.
- Luciano’s: Italian restaurant known for its traditional dishes, friendly atmosphere, and fine wines.
- M&S Food: High-quality fresh produce, groceries, and wine and spirits.
- New Look: Clothing, footwear, and accessories for men, women, and children.
- O2: Telecommunications company.
- Peacocks: Fashion chain offering affordable clothing and accessories for the entire family.
- Poundbakery: Bakery chain known for its value-for-money offerings, including pastries, sandwiches, and sweets.
- Poundland: Discount retailer offering various products, most priced at one pound.
- Ryman: Stationery and office supplies.
- Shoe Zone: Affordable shoes for all ages.
- Slacks Farm: Butchers.
- Sports Direct: UK’s largest sports-goods retailer.
- The Children’s Society: Charity shop selling second-hand items to support disadvantaged children across the UK.
- The Fragrance Shop: Retail chain specialising in perfumes, colognes, and related beauty products.
- The Nile: Pizza, kebabs, burgers, and fried chicken.
- TUI: Travel agency offering package holidays, flights, and hotels.
- UK Phone House: Mobile phones and accessories.
- Vodafone: Telecommunications company.
- Vision Express: Offers a broad array of optician services, including eye tests, and sells a wide range of glasses and contact lenses.
Entertainment and Leisure
To complement the shopping experience, Market Walk houses several entertainment and leisure spots. Movie buffs can enjoy the latest blockbusters at the six-screen Reel Cinema Chorley. Escape Entertainment offers an indoor adventure-themed golf course and a tenpin bowling centre.
Chorley Market and Booths
You’ll find a large Booths store and the historic Chorley Covered Market just a stone’s throw away from the centre.
Chorley Covered Market is a local treasure that adds to the vibrant shopping culture of the town. The market operates every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It’s an authentic market experience where you can find everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts. An outdoor street market is held every Tuesday.
Though opening times can vary, the standard hours are Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 5.30 pm and Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm. Entertainment venues, like the cinema, operate into the evening.
Opening times may vary on bank holidays and around Christmas.
Before travelling, it is always a good idea to check individual store opening times on the store’s website.
History of Market Walk – Purchase by Chorley Council
A significant milestone in Market Walk’s history was its acquisition by Chorley Council in 2013 from London-based Orchard Street Investments for £23 million. The council’s vision was to create a more vibrant and diverse shopping experience for locals and visitors.
In line with this vision, Chorley Council announced extensive expansion plans that included additional retail units, restaurants, and a cinema. In 2019 when Reel Cinemas and Escape Entertainment opened their doors, marking a new era for the centre.
Location and Getting To Chorley Town Centre
The Market Walk Shopping Centre is located in the heart of Chorley town centre. It is easily accessible by car, bus, and train. It is on Market Walk (postcode PR7 1DE).
The Flat Iron Car Park is adjacent to the shopping centre and is the most convenient place to park. It is between Union Street and Flat Iron Parade (postcode PR7 1AY). This pay-and-display car park offers affordable rates with a maximum stay of two hours.
For those planning a longer visit, Chorley offers several long-stay parking options. The car park on Friday Street (postcode PR7 0AA) is suitable for cinemagoers and others needing long-stay parking.
Chorley Bus Station is on Clifford Street, immediately east of the centre. There are services to and from towns like Bamber Bridge, Blackburn, Bolton, Horwich, Ormskirk, Preston, Southport, Standish, and Wigan.
Chorley Train Station is opposite the bus station. It is on the Manchester-Preston Line.