Parsonage Retail Park is a modern shopping park in Leigh, near Wigan. It takes its name from the Parsonage Colliery, a coal mine that operated on the site until 1992.
It offers a contemporary shopping experience, with many shops and places to eat and drink.
The shopping park offers a diverse range of stores. Those searching for fashion will find a wealth of options, with Next and JD offering high-street style and TK Maxx delivering designer brands at discounted prices.
Halfords is renowned for its vast array of cycling and motoring accessories, while Home Bargains is an affordable destination for all things home and garden.
The Food Warehouse and Aldi both provide quality groceries at competitive prices.
Stores and businesses here at the time of writing (May 2023) include:
- Halfords: Specialises in cycling, motoring, and camping accessories and equipment.
- Poundstretcher: A discount store offering various household items and personal goods.
- Next: A high-street retailer known for stylish, quality apparel and home products.
- Home Bargains: A discount retailer featuring home and garden products, beauty items, and foodstuffs at affordable prices.
- Currys: Comprehensive selection of tech-related products, appliances, and electronics.
- Argos (in Sainsbury’s): A catalogue retailer in Sainsbury’s.
- JD: A global sportswear and fashion retailer featuring a variety of branded clothing and footwear.
- Pets at Home: The largest pet supplies retailer in the UK, offering pet food, accessories, and care services.
- Sports Direct: A go-to destination for sportswear, footwear, and equipment for various sports and activities.
- Everlast: Gym with swimming pool.
- M&S Simply Food: A speciality grocery outlet offering premium ready meals and fresh produce.
- TK Maxx: Known for providing designer brands in fashion, beauty, and home goods at discounted prices.
- Sainsbury’s: One of the largest supermarket chains in the UK, providing a comprehensive selection of food, drink, and household goods.
- Sainsbury’s Petrol Station: A convenient fuel and services station open 24 hours.
- The Range: A go-to source for a wide array of home, leisure, and garden products, including furniture, DIY tools, and gardening supplies.
- The Food Warehouse: A warehouse-style store offering a broad selection of frozen, chilled, and fresh foods alongside household essentials.
- B&M: A variety store offering competitive deals on toys, furniture, homeware, and groceries.
- Aldi: A supermarket known for its cheap groceries and household goods.
Places to Eat
Beyond the bustling retail scene, Parsonage Retail Park offers a diverse selection of eateries. Whether you are looking for a quick bite to eat or a casual sit-down meal, the park caters to all tastes and preferences.
Places to eat and drink include:
- Costa: Known for its wide variety of speciality coffees, teas, and delicious pastries.
- Subway: Offers customisable sandwiches, wraps, and salads with numerous fresh ingredients.
- Greggs: Bakery is known for its savoury pies, sandwiches, and sweet treats.
- McDonald’s: Fast food.
- KFC: Specialises in fried chicken meals prepared with a proprietary blend of herbs and spices.
- The Parsonage: Welcoming pub known for its meal deals. It features a beer garden and a children’s play area.
- Harvester: Family-friendly restaurant.
Location, Visitor Information, Opening Times, and Practical Details
Located on Atherleigh Way, just outside Leigh town centre, Parsonage Retail Park boasts excellent accessibility and extended opening hours.
All stores are open seven days a week. Opening times vary by store but are generally Monday to Friday, 9 am to 8 pm, Saturdays from 9 am to 6 pm, and Sundays from 11 am to 5 pm.
Opening hours for the Sainsbury’s supermarket are Monday to Saturday, 7 am to 10 pm, and Sunday, 10.30 am to 4.30 pm.
The park features two sections. The larger section is accessed from Parsonage Way (postcode WN7 5SJ). The extension can be reached from Leighbrook Way (postcode WN7 5AR). Businesses at the extension are Aldi, The Range, The Food Warehouse, B&M, and The Parsonage.
Each section provides a free car park for shoppers, with the larger area on Parsonage Way even featuring electric vehicle charging stations.
Leigh Bus Station is approximately a third of a mile from Parsonage Retail Park, offering regular services from neighbouring towns such as Wigan, Bolton, and Warrington. There is no train station in Leigh.
Sainsbury’s hosts a cash machine and toilets.
All stores in the park are located on the ground level, ensuring ease of mobility for everyone, including those with strollers, wheelchairs, or mobility impairments.
Dedicated accessible parking spaces strategically situated near the entrances of all stores.
These measures not only provide comfortable and convenient shopping experiences for disabled visitors but also signify the park’s dedication to fostering a space that welcomes all members of the community.
History and Transformation
Parsonage Retail Park’s history is deeply intertwined with the industrial past of Leigh. The site was home to Parsonage Colliery, a coal mine that was one of the deepest in the country. The colliery operated from 1913 until 1992.
The first phase of the retail park opened in 2012. In response to its popularity, it has been extended several times.
Explore the Surroundings of Parsonage Retail Park
Two notable points of interest near the retail park are Pennington Flash Country Park and Leigh Sports Village.
Pennington Flash Country Park is a hotspot for birdwatchers. The park takes its name from the Pennington Flash, a large lake created due to coal mining subsidence and flooding, which is now a haven for water birds.
The park is interspersed with various trails ideal for peaceful walks and cycling. For families, there are play areas for children and picnic sites.
Leigh Sports Village is a modern multi-purpose sports, retail, and housing development. It houses the 12,000-capacity Leigh Sports Stadium, home to Leigh Leopards and a venue for football matches, concerts, and other events.