The Metrolink is a tram network servicing the Greater Manchester area, specifically the cities of Manchester and Salford and the metropolitan boroughs of Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Trafford, and Tameside.
There are no Metrolink stations in Bolton, Stockport, or Wigan.
It is owned by Transport for Greater Manchester and operated by Keolis and Amey.
Metrolink services are:
- Altrincham - Bury Service (Monday to Saturday daytime)
- Altrincham - Piccadilly Service
- Ashton-under-Lyne - Eccles Service
- Ashton-under-Lyne - MediaCityUK Service (Monday to Saturday daytime)
- Bury - Piccadilly Service
- East Didsbury - Rochdale Town Centre Service
- East Didsbury - Shaw and Crompton Service (Monday to Saturday daytime)
- Intu Trafford Centre - Cornbrook Service
- Manchester Airport - Victoria Service
- Manchester Airport - Deansgate-Castlefield Service (early mornings)
Passengers that have purchased a train ticket to Manchester city centre from any train station in Greater Manchester can travel on the trams for free within the City Zone. The City Zone includes the following stations: Deansgate-Castlefield, Exchange Square, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, New Islington, Market Street, Shudehill, St Peter’s Square, and Victoria.
Tickets can be purchased from machines located at each station. Machines accept coins (though not 1p or 2p coins), notes (£5, £10, £20), plus debit and credit cards. Change is given.
Cheaper off-peak fares apply after 9.30 am on weekdays, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. Accompanied children under 5 enjoy free travel while children aged 5 – 16 pay reduced price child fares (proof of age required for children over 11).
Weekend Travelcards are great value and allow travel anywhere on the network from early Friday evening to Sunday night. Family Day Travelcards and Family Weekend Travelcards are even better value.
Passengers must have purchased a ticket or pass before boarding a tram.
Free car parking is available at many Metrolink stations. The money saved by not having to park in expensive city centre car parks is typically more than the cost of a Metrolink ticket.
The following stations have large park-and-ride car parks:
- Altrincham Line – Navigation Road, Brooklands
- Ashton Line – Ashton Moss, Ashton West
- Manchester Airport Line – Sale Water Park
- Bury Line – Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield
- East Didsbury Line – East Didsbury
- Eccles Line – Ladywell
- Oldham and Rochdale Line – Rochdale Railway Station, Shaw and Crompton, Derker, Oldham Mumps, Hollinwood
- Trafford Park Line – Parkway
An interactive route map of the Metrolink can be found here.