The Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal is the main focus of Kendal’s arts and entertainment scene.
The converted brewery offers a number of performance venues, a 2-screen cinema, several restaurants and bars, plus galleries, studios and meeting rooms.
There are 2 main performance venues at the Brewery Arts Centre; the Malt Room and the Theatre. Seating plans for both and detailed events listings are available on the official website.
The Malt Room is a flexible venue with a dance floor and private bar. It can accommodate up to 300 people.
This raked auditorium can accommodate 260.
The Brewery Arts Centre boasts the only cinema in Kendal. The 2-screen cinema shows the latest releases. Screen 1 can seat 192 guests while Screen 2 can accommodate 115.
The Reel Deal on Tuesdays offers cinemagoers a movie and pizza for £10 while on Mondays all cinema tickets are just £4.50. There are also special screenings for children and parents plus Silver Screenings in the afternoon with free tea and biscuits for seniors.
For cinema listings and film times visit the official website.
The centre hosts several major events throughout the year such as the Kendal Mountain Festival and Kendal Mintfest/Lakes Alive.
Tickets for all shows and films can be booked online on the official website or by calling the box office on 01539 725133.
They can also be purchased in person at the ticket office. Opening hours are noon to 8.30 pm Monday to Wednesday, 10 am – 8.30 pm Thursday to Saturday, and 2 pm to 8.30 pm on Sunday.
Restaurants and Bars
The centre has a good selection of places to eat and drink. The Grain Store Restaurant offers a modern British menu and is an excellent choice for a pre-theatre dinner.
Vats Bar serves a good selection of bottled and cask ales, wines, and spirits. It is also known for its excellent pizzas.
The Warehouse Café functions as an arts café in the daytime and an art house cinema/live venue in the evening. Complimentary wireless internet access is available.
The Intro Café is a kid-friendly café with a play area for children and newspapers and magazines for parents.
Adult Education Courses
The centre offers a wide range of adult education courses. All fees are subsidised by Cumbria County Council and reduced fees are available for seniors, unemployed etc.
The courses offered cover a wide range of topics and activities including arts and crafts (sculpture, drawing, jewellery making, pottery, painting etc.), languages (all levels – French, German, Spanish, Italian), health (yoga, Pilates), and music (singing, guitar, piano etc).
The Brewery Arts Centre is located on Highgate in Kendal town centre. It’s accessed via a small arch under the Kendal Youth Hostel.
There is limited pay and display car parking behind the centre (60 cars).
Tourist attractions and things to do near Brewery Arts Centre include:
- Museum of Lakeland Life & Industry (0.2 miles) - Tells the story of the Cumbrian people from the late 18th century until the present day
- Abbot Hall Art Gallery (0.2 miles) - Enjoys a superb reputation for the quality of its temporary exhibitions
- Kendal Castle (0.5 miles) - Once owned by the family of Katherine Parr, the sixth and last Queen of Henry VIII
- Kendal Museum (0.5 miles) - One of the oldest museums in the country
Places to shop near Brewery Arts Centre include:
- Wainwright’s Yard (0.2 miles) - Small shopping centre in Kendal.
- Elephant Yard (0.3 miles) - Small shopping centre in Kendal.
- Westmorland Shopping Centre (0.3 miles) - Home to Kendal Indoor Market, Currys, Argos, Topshop and more
- Blackhall Yard (0.3 miles) - Features a variety of independent shops
Hotels near Brewery Arts Centre include:
- The Riverside (0.5 miles)
- Stonecross Manor Hotel (0.8 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Brewery Arts Centre include:
- Kendal Train Station (0.6 miles) -
Map showing location of Brewery Arts Centre.
Brewery Arts Centre
Address and postcode