Following the discovery of graphite in nearby Seathwaite Valley, Keswick became the site of the world’s first pencil factory. The Cumberland Pencil Museum explores the history of the pencil and pencil making. Exhibits include a replica of the Seathwaite Graphite Mine, the world’s largest coloured pencil and pencil making machinery.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Cumberland Pencil Museum include:
- Keswick Museum & Art Gallery (0.4 miles) - The only purpose built museum in the Lake District
- Keswick Launch (0.7 miles) - Cruises around Derwent Water
Hotels near Cumberland Pencil Museum include:
- Inn on the Square (0.3 miles)
- Royal Oak at Keswick (0.3 miles)
- Derwentwater Hotel (0.7 miles)
Map showing location of Cumberland Pencil Museum.
Cumberland Pencil Museum
Address and postcode