During the Industrial Revolution Stockport was the centre of the UK’s hatting industry. The town’s Hat Works museum pays homage to this legacy and is the only museum in the country dedicated to hats.
Housed in a converted mill close to the Garrick Theatre, it contains a fascinating of hatting machinery and hats from all ages and countries.
Facilities include a gift shop, café, and public internet terminals.
Admission to the Hat Works is free. Guided tours are available for a small fee. The museum is open 7 days a week from 10 am (1 pm weekends) to 5 pm.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Hat Works include:
- Stockport Plaza (0.0 miles) - Historic cinema
- Stockport Viaduct (0.1 miles) - One of the largest brick structures in Europe
- Stockport Air Raid Shelters (0.2 miles) - Labyrinth of tunnels built during WWII
- Staircase House (0.3 miles) - Medieval town house
- Vernon Park (0.9 miles) - Stockport's oldest park
Cinemas near Hat Works include:
- Cineworld Stockport (0.2 miles) - Cinema in Stockport town centre
Places to shop near Hat Works include:
- Merseyway (0.2 miles) - Shopping centre in Stockport.
- Peel Centre (0.6 miles) - Retail park near Stockport town centre.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Hat Works include:
- Laco Cafe and Bistro (0.3 miles) - Cosy cafe in Stockport town centre. Close to Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
- The Midway (0.9 miles)
Hotels near Hat Works include:
- Holiday Inn Express - Stockport (0.1 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Hat Works include:
- Stockport Train Station (0.2 miles) - Station on the West Coast Main Line.
Map showing location of Hat Works.
Address and postcode
Wellington Mill, Wellington Road South