Lower Rivington Reservoir is the most southerly of a chain of reservoirs running from Rivington to Abbey Village.
From south to north, the others in the Lancashire’s Little Lake District are Upper Rivington, Yarrow, Anglezarke, High Bullough, Rake Brook, Lower Roddlesworth, and Upper Roddlesworth.
The reservoirs were built to supply water to Liverpool. Before their completion Liverpudlians relied on wells and local streams to fulfil their water needs. The city received its first supplies from Rivington in 1857.
Lower Rivington Reservoir is separated from the Upper Rivington Reservoir by the Horrobin Embankment. Horrobin Lane runs over this and connects the village of Rivington to Anderton, Adlington, Heath Charnock, and Chorley.
The reservoir is a popular tourist destination. There’s a network of paths on the eastern side connecting attractions such as Liverpool Castle, the Go Ape adventure course, the Great House Barn, Rivington Hall Barn, Rivington Terraced Gardens, and Rivington Pike. The Great House Information Centre features exhibitions about the local area and also offers maps and guidebooks.
There are no public footpaths on the western bank. The Anderton Centre is here though and offers a variety of land and water-based activities (sailing, canoeing etc.).
Driving by car is the best way to get to Lower Rivington Reservoir. There are several car parks close to the eastern shore.
The most northernmost car park is situated behind Rivington Foundation Primary School (postcode BL6 7SE).
The most southerly is just off Rivington Lane, opposite Rivington and Blackrod High School (postcode BL6 7RU). This is the nearest car park to Liverpool Castle.
The 575 bus service from Bolton Interchange to Wigan Bus Station stops on Lever Park Avenue in Horwich. It’s a one mile walk from the bus stop to Liverpool Castle and the southern end of the reservoir.
Map showing location of Lower Rivington Reservoir.
Lower Rivington Reservoir