Located on the waterfront at Salford Quays, The Lowry plays host to a variety of performing and visual arts. It attracts close to one million visitors each year and is one of the most popular visitor destinations in North West England.
The Lowry has two main theatres and a studio for the performing arts. The Lyric Theatre seats 1,730 while the smaller Quays Theatre has a capacity of 440. The Studio can accommodate up to 240. Seating plans for all performance areas are available on the official website.
The theatres host a vibrant and varied schedule of performances; almost 1,000 each year. The programme includes opera, ballet, drama, musicals, dance, comedy, lectures, and music. World and UK premiers are common.
Tickets for performances at the Lowry can be purchased online from the official website and third party ticketing websites such as Ticketmaster. They can also be bought over the telephone by calling 0843 208 6000. Booking fees apply for tickets purchased online or over the phone.
Tickets can also be purchased in person from the box office. It is open every day of the week. Opening times are 10 am to 8 pm (6 pm on days when there are no performances scheduled).
Discounted tickets are available for children, students, the disabled, seniors, and unemployed. Salford residents enjoy special discounts and can even qualify for free tickets.
The gallery here houses the largest collection of paintings and drawings by LS Lowry. It comprises over 400 works. Admission is free but donations are appreciated.
The Pier Eight restaurant enjoys a fantastic waterside setting and is open for lunch and dinner. Other facilities include several bars, a coffee shop, and gift shop.
The Lowry is located at the heart of Salford Quays (Pier 8, postcode M50 3AZ).
Visitors travelling to the Lowry by car should leave the M60 motorway at Junction 12 and take the M602, signposted for Salford and Manchester city centre. At the end of the M602 take the A5063 to Salford Quays and then follow the brown tourist signs to the Lowry.
There’s a drop-off zone adjacent to the main entrance. Parking is available at the Lowry Outlet Mall multi-storey car park (postcode M50 3AH), just a short walk away. Ticketholders enjoy discounted parking rates.
Buses to The Lowry include the number 50 service from Didsbury. Stops on the way to Salford Quays include Albert Square (Manchester city centre), Salford Central Train Station, and Salford Crescent Train Station.
Other attractions in the area include the Imperial War Museum North, the Lowry Outlet Mall, Vue Lowry Manchester, Old Trafford (Manchester United Museum and Tour), and MediaCityUK (BBC tours). All are within walking distance.
Almost three quarters of visitors to The Lowry live outside the Salford/Manchester area. Many of these choose to stay overnight in the area. Hotels close by include the Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK, Holiday Inn Express Manchester Salford Quays, Copthorne Hotel Manchester, Ramada Manchester Salford Quays, and Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays. There’s also an excellent choice of places to stay in Manchester city centre.
Tourist attractions and things to do near The Lowry include:
- Imperial War Museum North (0.1 miles) - Fascinating museum exploring how lives are affected by war and conflict.
- Salford Watersports Centre (0.3 miles) - Kayaking, canoeing, sailing and more
- Manchester United Museum and Tour (0.6 miles) - Visit famous Old Trafford
Cinemas near The Lowry include:
- Vue Lowry Manchester (0.2 miles) - 7-screen cinema at the Lowry Outlet Mall.
Places to shop near The Lowry include:
- Lowry Outlet (0.2 miles) - Discount shopping centre at Salford Quays.
Hotels near The Lowry include:
- Holiday Inn Manchester-Mediacityuk (0.2 miles)
- Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays (0.3 miles)
- Copthorne Hotel Manchester (0.5 miles)
- AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays (0.6 miles)
Nearby Metrolink Stations
Metrolink stations near The Lowry include:
- MediaCityUK Metrolink Station (0.1 miles) - Metrolink station at MediaCityUK.
- Broadway Metrolink Station (0.3 miles) - Metrolink station at Salford Quays.
- Harbour City Metrolink Station (0.3 miles) - Metrolink station at Salford Quays.
- Anchorage Metrolink Station (0.5 miles) - Metrolink station at Salford Quays.
- Salford Quays Metrolink Station (0.5 miles) - Metrolink station at Salford Quays. Close to the Ramada and Holiday Inn Express.
Map showing location of The Lowry.
Address and postcode
Pier 8, Salford Quays