Today only six of the nine almshouses remain. They were built in the 17th century and have a timber-framed structure on a sandstone base. Residents had to be aged 65 and not drink or smoke.
Tourist attractions and things to do near The Nine Houses include:
- Roman Garden (0.0 miles) - Great place to relax
- Eastgate Arch and Clock (0.2 miles) - One of Chester's most popular attractions
- The Rows (0.2 miles) - Historic shopping galleries
- Grosvenor Museum (0.2 miles) - Explores Chester's history
- Grosvenor Park (0.2 miles) - Victorian-era park in Chester city centre.
- Chester Cathedral (0.3 miles) - Historic cathedral dating back to 907 AD
- Grosvenor Park Miniature Railway (0.3 miles) - 7.25 inch gauge miniature railway
Places to shop near The Nine Houses include:
- Grosvenor Shopping Centre (0.1 miles) - Shopping centre in the heart of Chester.
Hotels near The Nine Houses include:
- The Townhouse Hotel (0.1 miles)
- Oddfellows Chester (0.1 miles)
- Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel (0.2 miles)
- The Chester Grosvenor (0.2 miles)
- The Commercial Bar & Hotel (0.2 miles)
- The Coach House Inn (0.3 miles)
- Crowne Plaza Chester (0.3 miles)
- Hotel Indigo - Chester (0.3 miles)
- Mill Hotel & Spa (0.4 miles)
- Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse (0.5 miles)
Map showing location of The Nine Houses.
The Nine Houses
Address and postcode