The Octagon is a producing theatre in Bolton, Greater Manchester. It offers a rich and varied programme that includes classic and contemporary drama, musicals, and festive shows.
There are two performance areas. The Main Auditorium is a flexible performance space that can seat up to 400. The Bill Naughton Studio Theatre hosts smaller productions and can accommodate 100.
The theatre’s café, eight, is open throughout the day Monday to Saturday. Pre-show meals are available on performance evenings.
Tickets for performances at the Octagon Theatre can be bought online from the official website (see information box below). A seating plan is shown during the booking process. They can also be purchased over the telephone by calling the box office on 01204 520661.
Tickets can also be purchased in person from the box office. It is open Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 7.30 pm (5.30 pm on days when no performances are scheduled).
Discounted tickets are available for children, students, pensioners, and the unemployed. Standby tickets are extremely good value. They are offered to young people and students of the University of Bolton on the day of the performance.
The Octagon Theatre is situated on Howell Croft South (postcode BL1 1SB) in Bolton town centre, immediately south of Bolton Town Hall and Le Mans Crescent. Bolton Bus Station is just 200 yards from the theatre. Bolton Train Station can be reached on foot in five minutes.
The closest car park is the NCP Octagon Theatre Car Park, a multi-storey car park with spaces for just over 500 vehicles. Vehicles enter the car park from Great Moor Street (postcode BL1 1SN). At the time of writing (December 2015) parking here is free on Saturday, Sunday, bank holidays, and weekdays (between 3 pm and midnight). Check the NCP website for the latest parking prices and information.
Shows - What's On
Upcoming shows and events at the Octagon Theatre are listed below.
|Sat 20 Jul 2019||The Golden Years Caravan|
|Mon 22 Jul 2019||Grimm Tales Summer School: 13-18 Year Olds|
|Mon 22 Jul 2019||Grimm Tales Summer School: 8-12 Year Olds|
|Mon 22 Jul - Sat 17 Aug 2019||The Great Pirate Adventure|
|Fri 23 Aug - Sat 24 Aug 2019||StoryMakers: The Gingerbread Man|
|Mon 16 Sep 2019||Bridges Company - Autumn 2019|
|Tue 17 Sep 2019||Stage 3A - Autumn 2019|
|Tue 17 Sep 2019||Stage 3B - Autumn 2019|
|Wed 18 Sep 2019||ArtBeat - Autumn 2019|
|Wed 18 Sep 2019||Stage 3C - Autumn 2019|
|Thu 19 Sep 2019||Bridges Youth Theatre - Autumn 2019|
|Thu 19 Sep - Sat 19 Oct 2019||Beryl|
|Fri 20 Sep 2019||Stage 2A - Autumn 2019|
|Sat 21 Sep 2019||Stage 1 - Autumn 2019|
|Sat 21 Sep 2019||Stage 2B - Autumn 2019|
|Sat 5 Oct 2019||Investigate Day: Beryl|
|Tue 22 Oct - Tue 22 Oct 2019||StoryMakers: Hansel and Gretel|
|Thu 24 Oct 2019||Introduction to Gig Theatre Workshop|
|Thu 24 Oct - Sat 16 Nov 2019||Seagulls|
|Sat 2 Nov 2019||Investigate Day: Seagulls|
|Mon 11 Nov 2019||I Wanna Be Yours|
|Fri 15 Nov 2019||First Bite: Family Trees|
|Fri 22 Nov 2019||First Bite: Wilt|
|Fri 29 Nov 2019||First Bite: Burkas and Bacon Butties|
|Thu 5 Dec - Sat 28 Dec 2019||Treasure Island|
|Sat 7 Dec - Sat 14 Dec 2019||StoryMakers: The Snow Queen|
|Mon 9 Dec - Thu 19 Dec 2019||TREASURE ISLAND - SCHOOLS WORKSHOPS|
The list was last updated on Tuesday 16th of July 2019.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Museum, Art Gallery & Aquarium (0.0 miles) - Home to one of the largest collections of Egyptian artefacts outside London.
- Albert Halls (0.0 miles) - Large theatre in Bolton town centre.
- Queens Park (0.6 miles) - Large park near Bolton town centre with great playground, lake, and woodland.
Places to shop near Octagon Theatre include:
- Crompton Place (0.2 miles) - Shopping centre in Bolton. Stores include BHS, Primark, and Boots.
- Market Place (0.3 miles) - Large shopping centre in Bolton.
- Bolton Shopping Park (0.3 miles) - Stores include Boots, TK Maxx, Next and Sainsbury's.
- Central Retail Park (0.4 miles) - Small shopping park on Manchester Road in Bolton. Stores include Maplin, Pets at Home, and Iceland.
- Trinity Retail Park (0.6 miles) - Stores here are Toys R Us and Staples.
- Bolton Gate Retail Park (0.6 miles) - Retail park on the edge of the town centre.
- Burnden Park (0.8 miles) - Retail park on the site formerly occupied by Bolton Wanderers.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Octagon Theatre include:
- Olympus Fish and Chip Restaurant (0.1 miles) - Sit-down fish and chip restaurant. Light, airy interior. Close to Bolton Interchange (Bolton Train Station and Bolton Bus Station).
- The Bank (0.2 miles) - Bar and restaurant in the Market Place shopping centre. Offers steaks and burgers.
Hotels near Octagon Theatre include:
- Holiday Inn Bolton Centre (0.3 miles)
- Highgrove Guest House Bolton (0.5 miles)
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Bus Station (0.1 miles) - Bus station in Bolton town centre
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Train Station – Bolton Interchange (0.3 miles) - Train station in Bolton town centre.
Map showing location of Octagon Theatre.
Address and postcode
Howell Croft South