The Octagon is a producing theatre in Bolton, Greater Manchester. It offers a rich and varied programme that includes classic and contemporary drama, musicals, and festive shows.
There are two performance areas. The Main Auditorium is a flexible performance space that can seat up to 400. The Bill Naughton Studio Theatre hosts smaller productions and can accommodate 100.
The theatre’s café, eight, is open throughout the day Monday to Saturday. Pre-show meals are available on performance evenings.
Tickets for performances at the Octagon Theatre can be bought online from the official website (see information box below). A seating plan is shown during the booking process. They can also be purchased over the telephone by calling the box office on 01204 520661.
Tickets can also be purchased in person from the box office. It is open Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 7.30 pm (5.30 pm on days when no performances are scheduled).
Discounted tickets are available for children, students, pensioners, and the unemployed. Standby tickets are extremely good value. They are offered to young people and students of the University of Bolton on the day of the performance.
The Octagon Theatre is situated on Howell Croft South (postcode BL1 1SB) in Bolton town centre, immediately south of Bolton Town Hall and Le Mans Crescent. Bolton Bus Station is just 200 yards from the theatre. Bolton Train Station can be reached on foot in five minutes.
The closest car park is the NCP Octagon Theatre Car Park, a multi-storey car park with spaces for just over 500 vehicles. Vehicles enter the car park from Great Moor Street (postcode BL1 1SN). At the time of writing (December 2015) parking here is free on Saturday, Sunday, bank holidays, and weekdays (between 3 pm and midnight). Check the NCP website for the latest parking prices and information.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Museum, Art Gallery & Aquarium (0.0 miles) - Home to one of the largest collections of Egyptian artefacts outside London.
- Albert Halls (0.0 miles) - Large theatre in Bolton town centre.
- Queens Park (0.6 miles) - Large park near Bolton town centre with great playground, lake, and woodland.
Places to shop near Octagon Theatre include:
- Crompton Place (0.2 miles) - Shopping centre in Bolton. Stores include BHS, Primark, and Boots.
- Market Place (0.3 miles) - Large shopping centre in Bolton.
- Bolton Shopping Park (0.3 miles) - Stores include Boots, TK Maxx, Next and Sainsbury's.
- Central Retail Park (0.4 miles) - Small shopping park on Manchester Road in Bolton. Stores include B&M, Pets at Home, and Iceland.
- Trinity Retail Park (0.6 miles) - Stores here are Arnold Clark and Office Outlet.
- Bolton Gate Retail Park (0.6 miles) - Shopping park just outside Bolton town centre. Stores include Currys PC World, Wren Kitchens, B&Q, Dunelm, and Hobbycraft.
- Burnden Park (0.8 miles) - Retail park on the site of the old Burnden Park football stadium. Stores include ASDA, Abakhan, and Home Bargains.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Octagon Theatre include:
- Tapaz Ristorante (0.2 miles) - Mediterranean tapas restaurant in Bolton town centre. Good quality food and service.
Hotels near Octagon Theatre include:
- Holiday Inn Bolton Centre (0.4 miles)
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Bus Station (0.1 miles) - Bus station in Bolton town centre
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Octagon Theatre include:
- Bolton Train Station – Bolton Interchange (0.3 miles) - Train station in Bolton town centre.
Map showing location of Octagon Theatre.
Address and postcode
Howell Croft South