Stockport’s Staircase House is a medieval town house close to the town’s Market Hall. Devastated by fire in 1995, it has now been restored to its former glory.
The house is named after its rare cage newel staircase, installed by the wealthy Shallcross family who lived there from 1605 to 1730. Numerous rooms are filled with accurate replicas of period furniture and artefacts, most of which can be touched and handled.
The Stockport Story Museum is next to Staircase House and tells the history of Stockport from prehistoric times to the present day. Stockport Tourist Information Centre is also here.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Staircase House include:
- Stockport Air Raid Shelters (0.2 miles) - Labyrinth of tunnels built during WWII
- Stockport Plaza (0.3 miles) - Historic cinema
- Hat Works (0.3 miles) - The UK's only hat museum
- Stockport Viaduct (0.4 miles) - One of the largest brick structures in Europe
- Vernon Park (0.6 miles) - Stockport's oldest park
Cinemas near Staircase House include:
- Cineworld Stockport (0.4 miles) - Cinema in Stockport town centre
Places to shop near Staircase House include:
- Merseyway (0.2 miles) - Shopping centre in Stockport.
- Peel Centre (0.3 miles) - Retail park near Stockport town centre.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Staircase House include:
- Laco Cafe and Bistro (0.1 miles) - Cosy cafe in Stockport town centre. Close to Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
- The Midway (0.6 miles)
Hotels near Staircase House include:
- Holiday Inn Express - Stockport (0.4 miles)
- Trivelles Mayfair (1 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Staircase House include:
- Stockport Train Station (0.5 miles) - Station on the West Coast Main Line.
Map showing location of Staircase House.
Address and postcode
30 - 31 Market Place