At the start of the Second World War an extraordinary network of tunnels were built into the red sandstone cliffs in Stockport town centre. During the conflict up to 7,000 people used them to shelter from German air raids.
After lying forgotten for many years, the shelter at Chestergate opened to the public as a museum. Imaginatively restored, it reminds visitors of the extreme conditions that people lived through during the Blitz.
Stockport Air Raid Shelters are open Tuesday to Sunday. Self-guided and group tours are offered. For detailed opening times, ticket prices, and details of special events visit the official website.
The museum is located on Chestergate in Stockport town centre, close to the Merseyway Shopping Centre.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Stockport Plaza (0.1 miles) - Historic cinema
- Hat Works (0.2 miles) - The UK's only hat museum
- Staircase House (0.2 miles) - Medieval town house
- Stockport Viaduct (0.3 miles) - One of the largest brick structures in Europe
- Vernon Park (0.8 miles) - Stockport's oldest park
Cinemas near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Cineworld Stockport (0.3 miles) - Cinema in Stockport town centre
Places to shop near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Merseyway (0.1 miles) - Shopping centre in Stockport.
- Peel Centre (0.4 miles) - Retail park near Stockport town centre.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Laco Cafe and Bistro (0.1 miles) - Cosy cafe in Stockport town centre. Close to Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
- The Midway (0.7 miles)
Hotels near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Holiday Inn Express - Stockport (0.2 miles)
- Trivelles Mayfair (1 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Stockport Air Raid Shelters include:
- Stockport Train Station (0.3 miles) - Station on the West Coast Main Line.
Map showing location of Stockport Air Raid Shelters.
Stockport Air Raid Shelters
Address and postcode