Made famous by its reference in George Orwell’s book, Wigan Pier is a wharf on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.
The area was extensively redeveloped in the 1980s and 1990s as a tourism and leisure destination. However, most of the attractions here have now closed.
The Way We Were was a museum about Victorian life in Wigan. It shut in 2007 due to low visitor numbers. The Wigan Pier nightclub was one of the premier venues in the UK for bouncy house music. It closed in 2011 and the building was demolished in 2015. The Orwell pub is no longer in business.
The Trencherfield Mill is a cotton mill built in 1907. It has now been converted into apartments but its ground floor still houses one of the world’s largest working steam engines.
Despite the closures and redevelopment work, Wigan Pier is still an interesting area to visit. Most areas are accessible to the general public.
Wigan Pier is located at the southern end of Wigan town centre, just a short walk from both Wigan Wallgate Train Station and Wigan North Western Train Station.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Wigan Pier include:
- AMF Bowling Wigan (0.1 miles) - Ten pin bowling centre in Wigan.
- Mesnes Park (0.7 miles) - Municipal park close to Wigan town centre.
Cinemas near Wigan Pier include:
- Empire Cinemas Wigan (0.7 miles) - 11-screen cinema at Robin Park.
Places to shop near Wigan Pier include:
- Galleries Shopping Centre (0.5 miles) - Shopping centre in Wigan town centre.
- Grand Arcade (0.6 miles) - Shopping centre in Wigan. Stores include Debenhams and Wilko.
- Robin Park (0.6 miles) - Retail and leisure complex.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Wigan Pier include:
- La Sentidos Loca (0.5 miles)
- Red Door Bistro (0.5 miles)
- Gallimore's (0.5 miles)
- Franco's (0.5 miles)
- Casino de Cuba (0.5 miles)
- Fat Olive (0.7 miles)
- India Lounge (0.9 miles) - Indian restaurant just outside Wigan town centre. Friendly staff. Function room.
Hotels near Wigan Pier include:
- Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel (0.7 miles)
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Wigan Pier include:
- Wigan Bus Station (0.5 miles) - Bus station in Wigan town centre.
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Wigan Pier include:
Map showing location of Wigan Pier.
Address and postcode