234 is the country calling code for Nigeria.
Nigeria is a country on the continent of Africa. The capital city of Nigeria is Abuja.
How to Call Nigeria from the UK
To call a telephone number in Nigeria from the UK:
- Dial the international call prefix. For calls from the UK this is 00 (or '+' from mobile phones).
- Dial the country code for Nigeria - 234.
- Dial the number of the person/business, omitting the first zero if there is one.
Area Codes and Landlines
The following are the area codes for Nigeria’s major cities:
- Abuja – 9
- Benin – 52
- Enugu – 42
- Ibadan – 2
- Ilorin – 31
- Jos – 73
- Kaduna – 62
- Kano – 64
- Lagos – 1
- Port Harcourt – 84
When contacting a landline number from within Nigeria or from a Nigerian mobile, a 0 prefix with the area code is applied.
When calling from a landline in the same location, do not use the 0 prefix or area code.
When phoning from abroad, do not use the 0 prefix with the area code.
For example, to call a number in Lagos XXXXXXX from the UK:
- Dial the international call prefix (00/+), the Nigerian country code (234), the area code (no 0), and the subscriber number, e.g., 00-234-1-XXXXXXX or +234-1-XXXXXXX.
When calling Nigeria from the UK, please note there is a time difference between Nigeria and the UK.
The time right now in Nigeria is . The date is .
The current time in the UK is . The date is .
The time difference between Nigeria and UK (United Kingdom) is 0 hours.
The currency used in Nigeria is the Nigerian naira (NGN).
The current exchange rates between the Nigerian naira and the British pound (NGN to GBP, GBP to NGN) are:
- 1 Nigerian naira (NGN) = 0.002 GBP
- 1 British pound (GBP) = 517.802 NGN
Exchange rates on this page were last updated on .
Nigeria – Facts and Figures
According to data from the World Bank, the population of Nigeria in recent years is:
- 2018 - 195,874,740
- 2017 - 190,873,311
- 2016 - 185,960,289
- 2015 - 181,137,448
- 2014 - 176,404,902
- 2013 - 171,765,769
Map of Nigeria
The location of Nigeria is shown on the map below.