353 is the country calling code for Ireland.
Ireland is a country on the continent of Europe. The capital city of Ireland is Dublin.
How to Call Ireland from the UK
To call a telephone number in Ireland from the UK:
- Dial the international call prefix. For calls from the UK this is 00 (or '+' from mobile phones).
- Dial the country code for Ireland - 353.
- Dial the number of the person/business, omitting the first zero if there is one.
Area Codes and Landlines
The following are the area telephone codes for some of the Republic of Ireland’s main towns and cities:
- Carlow – 059
- Cork – 021
- Drogheda – 041
- Dublin – 01
- Dundalk – 042
- Ennis – 065
- Galway – 091
- Kilkenny – 056
- Limerick – 061
- Navan – 046
- Waterford – 051
A 0 prefix is used with the area code when calling a landline number from a different area within Ireland or from an Irish mobile.
When calling from a landline in the same area of Ireland, do not use the 0 prefix or area code.
When phoning the Republic of Ireland from abroad, do not use the 0 prefix with the area code.
For example, to call a number in Dublin XXXXXXX from the UK or overseas:
- Dial the international call prefix (00/+), the Ireland country code (353), the area code without the 0 and finally the subscriber number, e.g., 00-353-1-XXXXXXX or +353-1-XXXXXXX.
The currency used in Ireland is the euro (EUR).
The current exchange rates between the euro and the British pound (EUR to GBP, GBP to EUR) are:
- 1 euro (EUR) = 0.845 GBP
- 1 British pound (GBP) = 1.184 EUR
Exchange rates on this page were last updated on .
Ireland – Facts and Figures
According to data from the World Bank, the population of Ireland in recent years is:
- 2018 - 4,867,309
- 2017 - 4,807,388
- 2016 - 4,755,335
- 2015 - 4,701,957
- 2014 - 4,657,740
- 2013 - 4,623,816
Map of Ireland
The location of Ireland is shown on the map below.