The St Helens Canal (or Sankey Canal) opened in 1757 and was the first canal in England. It ran for 15 miles from St Helens to Spike Island In Widnes, along the path of Sankey Brook. The canal was abandoned in the first half of the 20th century.
Sankey Valley Park is a country park in Warrington. The linear park follows a section of the St Helens Canal and Sankey Brook. A tarmac footpath runs through the park and is popular with cyclists, runners, and dog walkers.
There’s a few picnic tables here and there plus a few piece of play equipment in the central area. Wider sections of the park boast open lawns.
The park offers a habitat for wildfowl such as ducks and swans.
Bewsey Park is a an area at the centre of the park. It is largely woodland and runs from the Gulliver’s World Theme Park to Bewsey Old Hall. It was once home to barracks for RAF Burtonwood, once the largest airbase in the UK and home to thousands of American servicemen during World War II.
The park offers several car parks. Options include the Bewsey Car Park and the Waterways Car Park.
Bewsey Car Park is located at the Lilford Avenue (postcode WA5 0AW). The Waterways Car Park is located near Waterways (postcode WA5 0AW).
Tourist attractions and things to do near Sankey Valley Park include:
- Gulliver’s World (0.4 miles) - Theme park aimed at families with children aged 2 - 13
- North West Face Climbing Centre (0.8 miles) - Over 14,000 square feet of climbing terrain
- Odeon Warrington (0.9 miles) - Multiplex cinema
Places to shop near Sankey Valley Park include:
- Alban Retail Park (0.9 miles) - Shopping park with stores such as Currys PC World and Halfords
- Pinners Brow Retail Park (1.0 miles) - Stores here are Sofology, Wickes,and Carpetright.
Hotels near Sankey Valley Park include:
- Villaggio (0.4 miles)
Map showing location of Sankey Valley Park.
Sankey Valley Park
Address and postcode
Bewsey Car Park, Lilford Avenue