The Merseyside Maritime Museum at Albert Dock explores Liverpool’s rich maritime history and is one of the country’s most popular tourist attractions.
The Seized! gallery is the official national museum of the UK Border Agency. Situated in the basement of the building it examines topics such as smuggling, taxes, and counterfeit products. Exhibits include steel girders used to smuggle cigarettes into the UK and fighting knives intercepted at Manchester Airport.
The Titanic, Lusitania, and the Forgotten Empress gallery explores the history of three ships that met with tragic ends. It includes fascinating objects recovered from the wreck of the Titanic such as a passenger’s watch, crockery, and a ventilation grill. The gallery also houses a scale model of the ship and a survivor’s lifejacket.
The Art and the Sea gallery boasts a huge collection of model ships and maritime paintings while the Emigration gallery tells the story of the millions of emigrants that have sailed from Liverpool in search of a better life.
The third floor of the building is home to the International Slavery Museum.
The museum is open 7 days a week, every day of the year except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. Opening hours are 10 am to 5 pm. Entry to the museum and all exhibitions is free.
The Maritime Dining Rooms on the fourth floor offers fantastic views of the Albert Dock and has featured in the prestigious Michelin Guide while the Quayside café on the ground floor offers snacks, hot and cold drinks, and free wireless internet access.
Other facilities at the Merseyside Maritime Museum include a children’s play area, information desk, baby changing area, and a shop selling gifts, books, and postcards.
The museum is situated at the northern end of Albert Dock. The closest mainline railway station is Liverpool Lime Street, approximately ¾ mile from Albert Dock. Visitors preferring not to walk can take the Merseyrail train to James Street, ¼ mile from the museum, or take a CityLink bus directly to Albert Dock.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Merseyside Maritime Museum include:
- Albert Dock (0.0 miles) - Liverpool's biggest tourist attraction
- Tate Liverpool (0.1 miles) - One of the largest galleries of modern art outside London
- Beatles Story (0.1 miles) - Tells the story of the world's most famous pop group
- Museum of Liverpool (0.2 miles) - Museum at Pier Head telling the story of Liverpool and its people
- Pier Head and the Three Graces (0.3 miles) - One of the world's most famous skylines
- M&S Bank Arena Liverpool (0.3 miles) - Concert and event venue.
Cinemas near Merseyside Maritime Museum include:
- Odeon Liverpool ONE (0.3 miles) - 18-screen cinema at Liverpool ONE.
Places to shop near Merseyside Maritime Museum include:
- Liverpool ONE (0.2 miles) - Shopping and leisure development in Liverpool city centre.
Hotels near Merseyside Maritime Museum include:
- Holiday Inn Express Liverpool - Royal Albert Dock (0.2 miles)
- Hilton Liverpool City Centre (0.2 miles)
- 30 James Street (0.2 miles)
- Jurys Inn Liverpool (0.2 miles)
- Days Inn Liverpool (0.2 miles)
- Innkeeper's Collection, All Bar One, Liverpool City Centre (0.3 miles)
- Hotel 46 (0.3 miles)
- Heywood House Hotel (0.3 miles)
- 62 Castle St - Exclusive Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Staycity Aparthotels Liverpool Waterfront (0.3 miles)
- Hampton By Hilton Liverpool City Centre (0.3 miles)
- Lock and Key (0.4 miles)
- Hard Days Night Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Novotel Liverpool Centre (0.4 miles)
- Tune Hotel Liverpool (0.4 miles)
- Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre (0.4 miles)
- The Z Hotel Liverpool (0.4 miles)
- Aloft Liverpool By Marriott (0.4 miles)
- The Works Apartments Liverpool (0.4 miles)
- Hotel Indigo Liverpool (0.5 miles)
- Hanover Hotel & McCartney's Bar (0.5 miles)
- Seel Street Hotel by EPIC (0.5 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Merseyside Maritime Museum include:
- Liverpool James Street Train Station (0.3 miles) -
Map showing location of Merseyside Maritime Museum.
Merseyside Maritime Museum
Address and postcode