Abbot Hall Art Gallery is housed in a magnificent Grade I listed Georgian building in Kendal’s Abbot Hall Park; a delightful green space next to the Parish Church and the River Kent.
Its permanent collection includes a wide range of 18th, 19th and 20th century British paintings including works by George Romney and John Ruskin.
Temporary Exhibitions & Events
The gallery enjoys a superb reputation for the quality of its temporary exhibitions. Shows scheduled for 2011 include Cumbrian landscape artist Sheila Fell, RB Kitaj – Portraits and Reflections, and The Great Picture.
Every Tuesday at 2 pm there are guided tours of the current exhibition. The gallery also offers ‘Spotlight On’ talks which explore a particular piece from the permanent collection in more depth.
The café hosts a programme of exhibitions by local and regional artists and photographers, and much of the work here is for sale.
Other events at Abbot Hall include evening lectures and children’s art workshops.
For further details about all events and temporary exhibitions visit the official Abbot Hall Art Gallery website.
The café serves hot and soft drinks, beer and wine, cakes, light meals, sandwiches, and soup, while the book shop stocks a good selection of art books and catalogues, postcards and CDs.
Abbot Hall is open Monday to Saturday. Opening times are 10.30 am to 5 pm (between November and March the gallery closes at 4 pm).
Tickets for adults cost £6. Under-18s and full time students aged up to 25 enjoy free admission.
The gallery is located on the banks of the River Kent, just south of Kendal town centre.
Visitors travelling by car and using satellite navigation systems should use the postcode LA9 5AL.
A pay-and-display car park serves both Abbot Hall and the Museum of Lakeland Life.
Lakeland Arts Trust
Tourist attractions and things to do near Abbot Hall Art Gallery include:
- Museum of Lakeland Life & Industry (0.0 miles) - Tells the story of the Cumbrian people from the late 18th century until the present day
- Brewery Arts Centre (0.2 miles) - Arts complex with cinema, theatre, art gallery, restaurant and pub
- Kendal Castle (0.3 miles) - Once owned by the family of Katherine Parr, the sixth and last Queen of Henry VIII
- Kendal Museum (0.6 miles) - One of the oldest museums in the country
Places to shop near Abbot Hall Art Gallery include:
- Wainwright’s Yard (0.4 miles) - Small shopping centre in Kendal.
- Westmorland Shopping Centre (0.4 miles) - Home to Kendal Indoor Market, Currys, Argos, Topshop and more
- Elephant Yard (0.4 miles) - Small shopping centre in Kendal.
- Blackhall Yard (0.5 miles) - Features a variety of independent shops
Hotels near Abbot Hall Art Gallery include:
- The Riverside (0.5 miles)
- Stonecross Manor Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Castle Green Hotel (0.9 miles)
Nearby Train Stations
Train stations near Abbot Hall Art Gallery include:
- Kendal Train Station (0.6 miles) -
Map showing location of Abbot Hall Art Gallery.
Abbot Hall Art Gallery
Address and postcode